Norwich Terrier Club Championship Show
Celebrating the 80th. Anniversary of Kennel Club Recognition of the Breed
25th. November 2012
at Roade Village Hall, Roade, Northamptonshire
Judge: Mr. Geoff Corish ( Pamplona )
It was a great honour & a pleasure to judge the club’s 80th ch show. Because of my involvement in Norfolks, I always took a lot of interest in the Norwich too, not quite from separation but certainly the early years. The breeders must be congratulated on how they have brought them on to how they are. In those early years the breed struggled a bit with various construction points & it was rare for a Norwich to ever figure in a group. Nowadays it’s quite common to see them win groups & indeed this year’s top terrier is a Norwich. I suppose they have taken over from the Norfolks in group winning, who would have thought that all those years ago?
On today’s showing the quality was definitely in the males, there was class after class of top quality dogs. In the bitches though they were harder to judge & I did find a lot of mouth problems, four teeth on the bottom being quite common, this is worrying as this figures a weak underjaw.
Best In Show & Dog CC, Crawley & Oddie’s Ch. Ragus Merry Gentleman
Reserve Best In Show & Dog RCC, Stevenson’s Ragus Now And Forever
Best Opposite Sex & Bitch CC, Thompson-Morgan’s Ch. Belleville Coconut Effect
Bitch RCC, Smith & Hurrion’s Ch Ragus Takes The Biscuit
Best Puppy in Show, Crawley’s Ragus Talk Of The Devil
Best Opposite Sex Puppy,Ragus Miss Sunshine T.A.F.
Best Veteran In Show, Corkhill’s Redash Blackcurrant
Minor Puppy Dog (1.0 ):
1.Willett’s Debeaux The Guvnor, 05/04/12, Br: Exh. (Ch Ragus Devine Devil Jaeva Double Bluff ), b/t of 6 months, nice in head, excellent mouth, strong jaw, good neck & shoulders, good topline& tailset, good coat texture, moved OK in profile. Just needs to tighten in front but he is young & plenty of time.
Puppy Dog (3,0 ):
1.Crawley’s Ragus Talk of the Devil, 21/03/12 (Br. Exh. Ch Ragus Merry Gentleman – Ragus What The Devil ) well grown red puppy & hopefully has stopped growing. Sound moving both ways, good reach of neck, good topline&tailset, in great coat & condition.One with a good future, BPIS.
2. Brown’s Ragus Indian Sun Over Lastarean, 24/01/12, (Br Crawley Ch Cobby’s Indesign (Imp. Swe.) – Ragus Hotter Than July ), red, lots to like.Gave his handler a hard time. Good overall balance, short & cobby, well balanced head, good eye, strong muzzle. Not as positive in front as 1;
3. Sumowska’s Germo of Ina’s White Dream (ATC AP00884 Fra). 25/12/11. Br. P Krizischke. (Bounty of Ina’s White Dream – Rustically’s Spring Diamond),
Junior Dog (3,1 ):
1. Stevenson’s Ragus Now And Forever. 28/10/11, Br: Mrs L Crawley, (Ch Cobby’s Indesign – Ragus Forever Yours), I was quite taken with this young boy. Very full of himself & so typically Norwich. Loved his head & expression, correct eye giving correct expression, short & cobby, moved true both ways & in profile. Should make up, no problem, RCC.
2. Barrell’s Barwest Blaze of Glory, 26/06/11, Br. Exh. (Ch Brickin Top of The Morning-Barwest Barley Wine ), lots to like about this lad. Nice size, good head & expression, excellent mouth, good front &topline. Just would like him a touch shorter in loin.
Novice Dog ( 2,0):
1. Needham’s Sativus Perpignan of Titanium. 16/09/11. Br: Mr G Sandy, (Ch Titanium Columbus ShCM – Wickworth Lady Ivy), OK for size & type. Preferred his head & expression to 2. Good front & feet, strong bone, good topline&tailset, sound both ways.
2. Sumowska’s High Pines Captain (ATC AP 00883 USA), 22/08/11, Br: A & S Sikorski, (Yellowrose High Pines Exclusive – Castle-Bar High Pines Cosmopolitan) , b/t, very different in type to 1 being a little ‘old fashioned’ & I mean that in a nice way. Not as short coupled as 1 & could have a bit more rib & I just preferred head balance of 1. Coat in pristine order & just shined.
Post Graduate Dog (3,0 ):
1. Hitchen’s Ragus Devil In The Detail for Kreatin ShCM. 08/01/11, Br: Mrs L Crawley. (Demerlay American Boy – Ragus What The Devil), this boy stood out here I felt. Short & cobby, good neck & shoulder, straight front, good bone, OK topline&tailset, lovely head & eye, neat ears. Moved so well & was presented superbly. One with a future.
2. Stubbings’ Alncarron Scots Pine. 30/03/10. Br: Mrs R Malone. (Ragus Star Wizard for Janski – Redash Caraway), red, slightly higher on the leg & not quite as good in shoulder as 1. Nice size, good topline&tailset, excellent coat texture, moved well both ways.
3. Dent’s Ragus Cornish Caper at Fizzella, 17/03/10, Br: L Crawley. (Ch Ragus Star Wizard for Janski – Belleville Cornish Cream)
Limit Dog (8,3 ):
Lovely class & a lot of considerations had to be made.
1. Brown’s Ragus The Devil Can Wait for Lastarean, 08/01/11, Br Crawley (Demerlay American Boy – Ragus What The Devil ), I liked this dog as soon as he came in. I loved his head & expression, neat ears, super front both standing & moving, good topline& tailset. In great coat & never stopped showing.
2. Crawley’s Ragus Edge of Forever, 28/10/11, Br Exh. (Cobby’s Indesign – Ragus Forver Yours ), red, lots to like. Not making it easy for his handler. Nice outline, reachy neck where he could beat 1. On the move a bit unsettled which didn’t help his front. Head of right balance but didn’t use them & could be a little smaller I felt.
3. Corkhill’s Redash Going For Gold, 04/01/11, Br Exh. ( Barwest Barnaby Bill at Kibkiln – Redash Time Goes By)
Open Dog (3,1 ):
1. Crawley & Oddie’s Ch Ragus Merry Gentleman. 25/12/10, Br: Mrs L Crawley. (Ch Brickin Ready To Rumble at Ragus – Ch/Am Ch Ragus Got The Look), gave this boy G2 at Birmingham recently & so obviously I like him. Interesting to watch him in his own breed & compare. He really is quite outstanding. Have read comments about him & all I can say is that they don’t know the breed. Great head, nice size, sound & free moving. No more to say really. CC.& Best in Show
2. Sumowska’s Dypsoman Zamlicze (ATC AP 00892 Pol). 12/10/09, Br J Sumonski. (Wybar Outward Bound – Dratwa Zamlicze), Very sound boy, not quite the short & cobby type I prefer. Good front, excellent bone, good topline. Could have a bit more rib & a little more body. Well handled & presented.
Special Beginners Dog (1,0 ):
1. Dent’s Ragus Cornish Caper at Fizzella,. 17/03/10, Br: L Crawley. (Ch Ragus Star Wizard for Janski – Belleville Cornish Cream ), b/t, liked his head & expression, good neck & shoulder, good topline. Just a bit too low to ground for me & which also made him look longer in back.
Veteran Dog (No Entries):
Minor Puppy Bitch (1,0 ):
1. Malone’s Alncarron Mountain Pine, 15/05/12, Br: Exh, (Am Ch Yarrow Venerie Old King Cold – Alncarron Stone Pine), very much a baby at just over 6 months.Very feminine, nice size, good neck & shoulders, short & cobby, super coat & presentation. Bit silly on the move but I saw enough to see she was sound. Just like a bit more strength in head but that may come with age.
Puppy Bitch (2.0 ):
1. Stevenson’s Brickin Tea Time. 14/03/12, Br: Exh, (Ragus Rock The House – Dorinor Storm In A Teacup), hardest decision in this class where 1 scored the 2nd failed & vice versa. 1 scored in showmanship & topline where 2 scored in head & failed in topline.
2. Armstrong & Lawrance’s Elantiz Gwynevere, 19/11/11 Br. Exh., (Am.Ch. Yarrow Venerie Old King Cold – Amicaro Really Rose at Elantiz), gave up a little & that didn’t help her shape. Both moved well both ways. 1 is not yet in full coat where 2 was in better coat. I gather these 2 change places all the time & I can see why.
Junior Bitch (5,2 ):
1. Stevenson’s Brickin I’m In The Pink, 16/11/11, Br: Exh, (Ch Ragus Jazz King Brickin Pretty In Pink.), red of nice type, sound, good neck & shoulder, straight front, good bone. Little unsure at times. In good coat but overall a very nice bitch
2. Crawley’s Ragus On My Honour, 02/08/11, Br. Exh. (Ch. Ragus Devine Devil – Cobby’s Honoria), thought this b/t would be my winner but just gave up on the move & standing. Super shape, lovely head & eye, sound. After I had placed them she decided to show like a bomb, so frustrating for her owner.
3. Brown’s Glamour Puss for Ragus, 26/08/11, Br. Mrs S. Williams (Ragus Hey Good Lookin For Brickin),
Novice Bitch (3,1 ):
1. Dent’s Ragus Just Joking at Fizzella. 05/11/10, Br: L Crawley. (Demerlay American Boy – Just A Tad Bad at Ragus), red, bit plain but in this class she moved & showed the best. Head balanced & with more hair would look so much better. Good neck &topline, excellent tailset, well handled by her young handler.
2. Crawley’s Ragus Kiss Curls, 03/11/11, Br. Exh., (Ch. Brickin Ready To Rumble at Ragus), red, when stacked on the table is a really nice shape, on the floor though just refused to show & looked so bored & in so doing made herself look long. In lovely coat of the right texture.Would like her ears to be a little smaller.
Post Graduate Bitch (7,1 ):
1. Phillips’ Ragus Madly In Love at Blakens. 07/05/11, Br: Mrs L Crawley, (Ch Brickin Ready To Rumble at Ragus – Ragus Truly Madly), rich red, the most lovely head & expression, moves well both ways, good neck & shoulders, excellent topline, super coat & well presented. Just a touch low to ground for me but well deserved to win the class.
2. Stevenson’s Ragus Miss Sunshine (TAF). 24/01/12. Br: Mrs LA Crawley. (Ch Cobby’s Indesign – Ragus Hotter Than July), just a puppy & rather fat! Lovely head, neat ears, straight front & good bone, in good coat. Just needs to lose some weight & could do well. BOSP
3. Martin’s Kirmir Little Mischief, 08/01/10. Br: Exh. (Ch Titanium Columbus Baktwins Follow That Dream),
Limit Bitch (7,0 ):
1. Armstrong & Lawrance’s Elantiz Rambling Rosie, 14/10/10, Br. Exh., (Ch Belleville Crème Brulée – Amicaro Really Rose at Elantiz), red of nice size & type. Moved better than most in this class. Nice head & expression, small neat ears, good front, excellent coat, well handled.
2. Lazenby’s Ragus Diamonds Only, 23/10/07, Br. Mrs. L.A. Crawley, (Kinsridge Caption – Ragus Fine Diamond), lots to like about this bitch, sadly lacked in furnishings & so makes the look a bit plain. Short & cobby, excellent coat texture of rich red, moves well.
3. Brown’s Lastarean Kyme For Home, 15.03/11, Br. Exh. (Brown Ben Will’s Choice – Brenin Sweet Possession)
Open Bitch (5,1 ):
1. Thompson-Morgan’s Belleville’s Coconut Effect. 21/03/11. Br Exh. (Ch Ragus Devine Devil – Ch Belleville Coconut Cream), red who I liked as soon as she came in. Wouldn’t use her ears to start with but then as the class progressed she got so much better. Nice size & shape, moves so well & with attitude. Her 2nd CC here & won her third while writing this report.
2. Smith & Hurrion’s Ch Ragus Take The Biscuit, 21/03/11, Br: Mrs L Crawley, (Ch Brickin Ready To Rumble at Ragus – Ragus Cornish Wafer), close up & nearly beat 1 but then on the move 1 put more into it. Similar in a lot of ways to 1.Liked her head & expression. A bit naughty on the move to start with but then settled & moved OK. In super coat. RCC.
3. Dent’s Ragus Just Joking at Fizzella. 05/11/10, Br: L Crawley. (Demerlay American Boy – Just A Tad Bad at Ragus),
Special Beginners Bitch (5,0 ):
1. Elantiz Rabling Rosie,
2. Kirmir Little Mischief, at present lacking furnishings. Lovely head, dark well shaped eye, good neck & shoulder, coat of good texture & well handled.
3. Ragus Just Joking at Fizzella.
Veteran Bitch (1,0 ):
1. Corkhill’s Redash Blackcurrant , 18,10,02, Br. Exh. (Fin Ch. Redash Winter Lion – Redash Brown Beret), 10 years & in remarkable condition. Moves better than some of the younger ones. Would imagine in her day she was quite something. Lovely outline & still as sound as a bell. A great credit to her owner.
Brace (3,0 ):
1. Corkhill’s, 2. Brown’s, Dent’s,
Geoff Corish (judge)
Junior Handling (2,0): Judge: Mr. Barry Day
Lydia Smith, aged 13 years,
Best Junior Handler
Maisy Dent, aged 8 years.
Runner-Up Junior Handling